The organized unit of UNITED METHODIST WOMEN shall be a community of women whose PURPOSE is to know GOD and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the local and global ministries of the church. Salem UMW sponsors, coordinates and/or participates in a variety of efforts/events at Salem UMC – Zionsville such as: Pledge to Missions, World Thank Offering, Lebanon Methodist Children's Home, coordination of annual Easter Egg Hunt, Mother-Daughter-Women's Annual May Celebration the Friday evening before Mother's Day, Mothers' & Fathers' Day Recognition, presentation of annual Love Gifts and personalized Bibles to graduating high school seniors, making and distributing love blankets, and annual Fall Bake Sale.
Salem UMW membership is open to any woman who indicates her desire to belong and to participate in the local and global missions of our church through the UMW group. Meetings are held the 2nd Thursday of the month beginning at 1 p.m. For more information, please contact President Judy Washburn at (317) 873-2754. 2012 Officers are:
The emblem of the United Methodist Women, the cross and the flame, symbolizes our organization. The ross and flame are ancient symbols of the church and appear in the United Methodist Church Emblem. Both symbols remind us of the opportunities ad obligations of discipleship. As part of our emblem, the cross and flame remind us of our purpose of growing in our understanding of and willingness to participate in the local and global ministries of the church. The overall shape of the emblem is symbolic. Fluid and free flowing, the shape suggests change and mobility.
1869: 6 Members Today: 800,000 members (2012)
United Methodist Women inherits the vision and toil of women's missionary societies of eight denominations since 1869. Its 140-year legacy started when the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society first organized in Boston in response to a lack of women's health in India.
Women in the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren traditions organized about the same time in history (1869-1893) when women and children were legally classified as "chattel, legally dead, non-persons." There was little service to women because of prejudice and limitations of cultural attitudes in the church and in society
In 1869, Mrs. William Butler and Mrs. Edwin Parker, wives of missionaries to India, were home on furlough. They spoke to a group of women in Boston. Only six women were present because of an intense storm. Mrs. Butler told about the desperate spiritual and physical needs of women in India. A male doctor could not treat women. Schooling for girls was almost non-existent. Single, trained and dedicated women were needed for medical and educational work.
The six women who were present called another meeting of women, wrote a constitution, and organized the Methodist Woman's Foreign Missionary Society (WFMS). By November 1869, the newly formed organization raised funds and sent Isabella Thoburn, an educator, and Dr. Clara Swain, a doctor, to India
Ms. Thoburn began a school with six young girls in Lucknow. This school expanded to include Isabella Thoburn College, the first women's college in Asia. Dr. Swain began her medical work, resulting in the establishment of the first women's hospital in Asia. Both of these institutions are still serving the people of India.
In 1875, Lizzie Hoffman was instrumental in forming the Woman's Missionary Association of the United Brethren Church. After spending one night praying, she was convinced that the women of the church should be organized for special mission work. Sierra Leone, in Africa, was the first country to which missionaries were sent.
Strong Woman's Home Missionary Societies were founded in 1880 (Methodist Episcopal Church) and 1890 (Methodist Episcopal Church, South
In 1879, the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Protestant Church was founded; and in 1884, the Woman's Missionary Society was organized in the Evangelical Association. These groups became powerful, independent women's organizations, sending hundreds of missionaries all over the world and supporting many projects
The Ladies Aid Societies, which had existed for many years, were incorporated into the missionary societies in the 1940s. Through reorganization and denominational mergers, these various groups were brought together. In 1973, United Methodist Women became the women's mission organization of The United Methodist Church
Living The Legacy a historical timeline, depicts the continuing journey of women in mission from 1869-2002.